How To Prepare For Surgery
As a general rule, the following steps will be taken prior to your surgery:
- A Pre-OP nurse from Sunrise Ambulatory Surgical Center will contact you no later than one day prior to your procedure, to discuss medical history, medications and to give you information regarding your surgery.
- You must refrain from eating or drinking anything after midnight, on the evening before your surgery. This is due to the risk of asperation and getting pneumonia, if anything from your stomach travels to your lungs while you are under anesthesia.
- You must arrange for a ride home after your procedure. Driving while under the influence of medications is against the law. We will be happy to contact a person whom you designate when it is time for you to go home. A cab may be used, if you have a responsible person riding with you.
- Where applicable, you may use your own durable medical equipment, or we will furnish it for you from our supplier.
- If the anesthesia provider has not talked with you prior to your procedure, then they will discuss your surgery when you arrive.
- We will obtain any pre-operative tests (bloodwork, x-rays, etc) ordered by your physician.
These instructions are general. If your physician, their office or a nurse from the Surgical Center has given more specific instructions, please follow those.